This is an easy to make brown sugar drop cookie recipe with a delicious date filling. Instead of using butter or margarine, you can substitute a half shortening and half butter mixture in this recipe (about 4 tablespoons of each).
- For the Date Filling:
- 1 package/8 ounces dates (cut up)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- For the Cookie Batter:
- 1/2 cup/4 ounces butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups/9 ounces flour (all-purpose)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Bring dates, water, and granulated sugar to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until dates are thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; stir in the egg, water, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir or whisk to blend.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop the cookie dough by teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Place about 1/2 teaspoon of the date mixture on the top of each cookie, then place a small dab of cookie dough on top of the date mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|