This simple, everyday beef stew can be cooked in stages. Cook the beef shanks the day before, then finish with the stew beef and vegetables the next day.
The beef shanks and vegetables give this stew its great flavor. Feel free to add other vegetables to this stew. Peas could be added near the end of cooking time, and turnips or parsnips could replace the rutabaga. Serve this tasty stew with freshly baked biscuits or crusty rolls.
Refrigerate leftovers; it's even better the next day!
- 2 pounds beef shanks
- 2 large onions
- 6 cups water (about)
- 1 pound stewing beef (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups diced rutabaga
- 5 to 6 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 3 cups potatoes (diced)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Optional: 2 tablespoons flour whisked with about 3 tablespoons cold water until smooth
- Put the beef shanks and chopped onions in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with about 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove beef from the bones, dice, and put back in the pot.
- Toss the stew beef pieces with the 3 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the coated beef pieces and cook, stirring, until browned. Add to the pot with the beef shanks.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour longer, or until beef is tender. Add the rutabaga and carrots; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add the potatoes; cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, along with the parsley.
- To thicken, if desired, stir the optional flour and water mixture into the stew and cook, stirring, until thickened.
You Might Also Like
Autumn Beef Stew
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|