These creepy monster Rice Krispie treats are the perfect Halloween party snack! This recipe takes the classic cereal treat up a notch with cute candy eyes. They are so easy to make and they look super impressive.
Dip the Rice Krispie treats into different colored melted white chocolate to create little monster heads and add edible candy eyes in different arrangements to create the creepy monster look. You can try out lots of different designs with the eyes. Why stop with two eyes? Monsters can have as many as you like—make your treats look unique and creative!
Edible candy eyes can be found in most craft stores in the cake and candy decorating section. You can also find them online. They can also be made from scratch from royal icing. It's much cheaper but rather time consuming.
If you can't find colored candy melts, you can substitute white chocolate and food coloring. Buy regular white chocolate chips and after they have melted, add the oil and then the food coloring. Be sure to follow directions on the box to get the right color combinations and mix in the food coloring completely to prevent streaky color.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 10 ounce package marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 4 cups candy melts (one cup per color)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons canola oil (per candy melt color)
- 24 edible candy eyes (different sizes if desired)
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Choose a saucepan that is large enough to fit all of the marshmallows.
- Add the marshmallows, turn the heat to low, and stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Don't leave the marshmallows unsupervised! They marshmallows will burn or brown very easily.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies two cups at a time until they are completely combined.
- Press the Rice Krispie mixture into the greased baking pan. We recommend greasing your hands as well, to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands. Allow treats to cool and then cut into 12 rectangles.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over a baking sheet.
- Put 1 cup of the first color of candy melts into a mug. Microwave, 30 seconds at a time until the candy has melted. Stir in the 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil until it is completely combined. Dip three of the rectangles into the candy, covering about 1/3 of each rectangle. Try dipping them both vertically and horizontally. Lay each rectangle onto the sheet of parchment paper. Arrange the candy eyes as you like onto the melted white chocolate. Experiment with different arrangements and different amounts of eyes.
- Repeat with remaining color candy melts. Allow them to cool completely. Store Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container.