|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 sandwiches (4 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 50g||63%|
|Saturated Fat 23g||116%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Monte Cristo Sandwiches are made with ham, two kinds of cheese, and thinly sliced chicken. They are dipped in a batter similar to one used to make French Toast, dipped into a crushed cereal mixture, then grilled to crisp perfection.
These fabulous sandwiches are a real treat, and they're easy to make. Traditionally they are grilled in large amounts of butter, and you can make them that way. But try them on a George Foreman grill for all the crunch and less fat.
Serve these sandwiches with a fruit salad or a green salad for a nice lunch or dinner.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound deli ham (thinly sliced)
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey or chicken breast
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal (finely crushed)
- For Serving:
- powdered sugar
- strawberry jam
- Gather the ingredients.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with the Dijon mustard. Make sandwiches with the two kinds of cheese and the ham and turkey slices.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk, and oil, and beat well until combined. Place the crushed cereal on a shallow plate.
- Dip each sandwich briefly into the egg mixture, then dip the sandwiches into the cereal mixture to coat.
- Grill the sandwiches in a dual contact grill or panini grill or waffle iron until they are crisp and brown and the cheese has melted, about 3 to 4 minutes total.
- If you want to grill the sandwiches in a pan, add about 1/4 cup butter and let it melt in the pan. Grill the sandwiches, turning once, in the hot butter for about 3 to 4 minutes per side until they are crisp and golden.
- Sprinkle the hot sandwiches with the powdered sugar and serve with the strawberry jam for dipping.