If you're only familiar with using avocados in salads and dips, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how delicious an avocado shake can be! Avocado smoothies – or avocado milkshakes – are an immensely popular beverage in Morocco, particularly during the month of Ramadan. They're quick and easy to make and are both filling and nutritious.
This traditional recipe requires only milk, avocado, and sugar. The size of the avocado used will affect how much milk and sugar you need to achieve your preferred consistency and sweetness.
Please note that Moroccans tend to like their beverages quite sweet so try adding the sugar in increments and tasting as you go to avoid over-sweetening.
- 2 to 3 cups cold milk
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- Handful of ice (optional)
- Peel the avocado and cut in half. Discard the pit.
- Put the avocado and the sugar in a blender with 1 cup of milk. Blend until very creamy and smooth.
- Gradually add another cup or two of milk to make the shake as thin or as thick as you like. How much milk you need will depend on the size and ripeness of the avocado.
- Add a handful of ice to the blender if you like your shake well-chilled, and blend for another minute. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|