This is an ancient way of grilling ground meat. The secret is to make sure the meat is sticky enough to hold together on the skewers. Once it starts cooking the meat will harden and hold on, but you should still be careful.
Serve beef koftas alongside 4 to 5 warmed pitas, 1 cup of plain yogurt, red onion sliced into rings, and 2 limes quartered.
- 1 1/2 pounds/700 g ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup/120 mL cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons/12.5 mL sea salt
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL onion powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL cumin
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL paprika
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL chili powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL coarse ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and form into thick sausages. Thread onto skewers.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat and oil cooking grate thoroughly. Place koftas on hot grill and cook for about 12-14 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Once the internal temperature of koftas reaches 165 degrees, remove from heat and serve with pita bread, raw onion rings, lime wedges, and yogurt.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|