|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Turmeric gives this cauliflower the bright yellow color, while other Moroccan spices and preserved lemon add zesty flavor. Serve it as an easy side or vegetarian main dish.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Black or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 onion (sliced or coarsely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped or pressed)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 preserved lemon (quartered)
- 1 handful red olives (or violet olives)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
Break the cauliflower into small florets; wash and drain. Mix the cauliflower with the spices and set aside.
In a wide, deep skillet or Dutch oven, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for just a few minutes. Add the cauliflower, preserved lemon, olives and water and bring to a simmer.
Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring gently once or twice until the cauliflower is just tender. Continue cooking, uncovered, to reduce the liquids to oil only.
Sprinkle the fresh cilantro over the cauliflower and serve.