|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker recipe for a meaty tomato sauce a snap to make, and it is a wonderful sauce for hot cooked mostaccioli, penne, or ziti pasta.
- 1 pound sausage (Italian, mild or sweet)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried, sweet)
- 16 ounces mostaccioli (or penne or ziti)
- Garnish: Parmesan cheese
Brown sausage and ground beef; drain off grease. Combine all ingredients, except pasta and Parmesan cheese, in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, adding a little water near the end if the sauce seems too thick.
Just before the sauce is done, cook the mostaccioli, penne, or ziti pasta in boiling salted water following the package instructions.
Drain and serve the hot pasta with the sauce.