Let your mom know just how special she is by preparing her a homemade brunch this Mother's Day! This smoked salmon pie is sure to impress, yet is easy to prepare on a Sunday morning. To make the meal extra special, serve this savory pie with a lightly dressed spring greens salad, some fruit and, of course, a glass of champagne!
For this recipe, we prefer to use wild-caught Norwegian smoked salmon. There is also grated cheese in both the crust and on top of the pie. We like to use Emmental cheese for its mild flavor, but you can feel free to substitute Swiss or Gruyere if you prefer.
Don't let the idea of making a homemade pie crust intimidate you. Before you begin, check out this article for 10 Tips for Making Perfect Pie Crust. Also, for this recipe, you don't need any special tools to cut the butter into the flour. You can certainly use a pastry blender if you have one in your kitchen, or you can simply use two dinner knives to combine the cold butter and flour. Personally, we just use our fingers to quickly incorporate the butter into the flour to create rough crumbles. (The key word being quick! You don't want to handle the butter too much, as it will warm up from the heat of your hands.) No matter which method you choose, with a little practice, you can easily become a homemade pie crust expert!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Emmental cheese (grated)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup smoked salmon (chopped)
- 1/2 cup leeks (white part only, chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dill (chopped, fresh)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cheese Emmental cheese (grated)
To prepare crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a medium bowl, cut butter into flour and salt until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add grated cheese and water and combine until crust comes together.
- Roll out crust on a lightly floured surface. Press crust into a 9-inch pie pan, folding and crimping the top edge.
- Prick crust all over with a fork then bakes at 400 F for 15 minutes.
To prepare pie:
- Place chopped salmon and leek into the prepared pie crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, dill, lemon pepper, and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over the salmon and leek in the crust.
- Sprinkle with grated Emmental cheese.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake for 27 to 30 minutes.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|