|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 cocktail (1 serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You'll notice many similarities between the mudslide and the white Russian. They're both tasty vodka lowballs, though the mudslide opts for Irish cream rather than standard dairy cream. This gives it a slightly lighter touch, but it's also a bit more potent. Kahlua is the coffee liqueur most commonly used and Bailey's is the popular Irish cream of choice. That said, there are great alternatives to both liqueurs.
Beyond the rocks and blended versions, there are many variations on the mudslide. You may also see this drink made without the vodka. Sometimes, the glass is filled with milk or cream—even more like the white Russian recipe—so the two cocktails are often mistaken for one another.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
Serve and enjoy!
- Pouring the mudslide over fresh ice is the easiest way to improve this simple drink. The ice in the shaker is broken down from agitation. If that ice goes into the glass, your drink will be watered down by the time you are halfway done with it.
- The ice in the glass should simply keep the drink cool while you enjoy it. Consider using ice balls or giant cubes. The larger the ice, the slower it will melt, and the less your drink will suffer from unwanted dilution.
- Irish cream is an essential spirit for bars, but you can also play with some of the alternatives. RumChata is a perfect example and if you are a fan of this dairy liqueur, you will love it in your mudslide.
- Some versions of the mudslide double up on the cream. Try it with 1 ounce of Irish cream liqueur and 1 1/2 ounces heavy cream.
- To make the frozen mudslide, pour 1 ounce each of the three distilled spirits into a blender. Add 1 ounce of milk or cream, then 1 cup of ice. Blend until smooth. Pour it into a frosty hurricane glass and add a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- Instead of milk or cream, blend in a scoop of vanilla ice cream and cut back to about 1/2 cup of ice.
- For a fancy frozen mudslide, add layers of chocolate syrup. Pour a small amount of the drink into your glass, top that layer with syrup, then add another mudslide layer. Continue this pattern until your glass is full.
- Substitute a blended Scotch whisky for the vodka and you have a drink called the aggravation (or teacher's pet). It typically gets a quick shake: pour everything into the serving glass along with ice, cover it with a shaker tin, and give it one good shake. Make sure you have a tight grip on both the glass and the tin or things could get messy. It can be made with cream, milk, or Irish cream.
- Brandy makes an excellent variation on the mudslide as well.
Choose Your Vodka
There's no need to pull out your best vodka for a mudslide; save that for your vodka martinis. Instead, find a decent, inexpensive vodka for this drink. There are many great options available that you will want to keep in your bar's well for drinks like this.
The mudslide is also a perfect candidate for flavored vodkas:
Ramp up the caffeine and choose an espresso vodka like that from Three Olives.
Add a hint of cocoa with something like Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate.
Bring in a fruity touch with raspberry or strawberry vodkas, even making your own infusion.
Use one of those fun whipped cream or cake vodkas to make the mudslide temptingly sweet.
How Strong Is the Mudslide?
Though the mudslide may taste sweet and innocent, it is almost as strong as a margarita. As an example, with 80-proof vodka, Baileys, and Kahlua, its alcohol content falls in the 29 percent ABV (58 proof) range. Since it's so yummy, it's easy to drink one too many and this one will sneak up on you. Of course, if you were to add milk or cream or blend the mudslide, it's far less potent.