This easy muesli bar recipe makes a delicious, chewy snack packed full of nutritious dried fruits and nuts.
In this particular recipe, we use raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened dried or desiccated coconut, unsweetened dried cranberries, and sesame and flax seeds, but you can tailor the add-ins to suit your personal taste.
All the ingredients are bound together by a mixture of butter, honey, and a little brown sugar. The muesli bars can be kept in an airtight container for at least 1 week.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut (unsweetened and dried)
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup unsalted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Grease and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large skillet over low to medium heat, toast the rolled oats, unsweetened dried (desiccated) coconut, wheat germ, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until golden. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
Transfer to a metal bowl and set aside to cool.
When the mixture is cool, stir in unsweetened dried cranberries and flax seeds.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter, honey, and brown sugar.
Stir constantly for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, without stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add the hot butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir well until combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
Use the back of a large metal spoon to press the mixture down firmly and evenly.
Allow to cool and then cut into 8 pieces. The bars can be stored in a foil-lined airtight container for up to 1 week.
- If you like your muesli loose so it can be sprinkled on yogurt or eaten with milk as a cereal, don't press the mixture into a baking pan. The loose mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.