Mujadarra is a rice and lentils side dish served in many Middle Eastern countries. The recipe varies by region, but this is a classic.
- 5 onions
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup white uncooked rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dice 3 onions and saute in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan until brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepot, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add onions and rice to lentils, and continue cooking for 20 minutes, or until rice and lentils are soft. Remove from heat and allow to remain in the pot for a few minutes to absorb any remaining water. Add salt
- Slice the remaining two onions into rings. Saute rings in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil until brown.
- Place rice and lentils onto serving plate and top with sauteed onion rings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|