Eggs are wholesome, quick to prepare, and delicious with a variety of fillings, and who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? Omelets are ideal for those evenings when you want a light, yet satisfying entree, and want to get it on the table fast. Easy prep doesn't mean you can't linger over the meal -- take a cue from the French and serve this savory Mushroom and Onion Omelette with salad, baguette, and a great glass of wine.
Tip: For a dairy omelet, use butter (or a mix of butter and olive oil) and your favorite cheese; substitute olive oil and omit the cheese if you prefer to go dairy-free.
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 medium onion (about 3.5 ounces/100 gm; finely chopped)
- 4 ounces/125 gm crimini mushrooms (cleaned, trimmed, and thinly sliced; about 1 1/4 cups sliced)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar (or other favorite cheese)
- Optional: freshly snipped chives
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Whisk until well beaten, then set aside.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter (or warm the oil) in a 9- or 10-inch cast iron or heavy non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until soft and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, and sauté until they release their juices and become soft, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the onions and mushrooms to bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and add 1 teaspoon of butter or oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour in the beaten eggs. When the edges begin to set, run a silicone or rubber spatula around the circumference, pushing the edge aside slightly, and tilting the pan to let any uncooked egg run under the omelet.
- When the surface of the egg is almost entirely set, top half of the omelet with the sautéed mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Use a spatula to carefully fold the other half of the omelet over the filling. Gently flip the stuffed omelet and cook for another minute, until the cheese melts and the egg is set. Transfer to a plate and garnish with freshly snipped chives, if desired. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|