These stuffed zucchini "boats" make a fun and delicious vegetarian entrée, or could also be a side dish alongside grilled chicken or another meat entrée. I like the delicate flavor that shallots impart, but you can also substitute a small yellow onion for the shallots. Also feel free to experiment with the cheese topping – Colby or cheddar would be just as good.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 shallots (diced)
- 12 ounces mushrooms (cremini, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Cut the stem end off the zucchinis and slice them in half lengthwise. With a table spoon, scoop out just the pulpy center that contains the seeds, and put the zucchini cut-side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes, until just slightly softened.
- While the zucchini are cooking, in a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid cooks off, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the mixture with garlic powder, stir in the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and turn them over on the sheet pan so they are cut side up. Divide the mushroom mixture between each zucchini, spooning it into the carved-out channel where the seeds were removed. Return the zucchini to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the zucchini from the oven, sprinkle each boat with mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven or to the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted, 5 minutes or less.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|