This recipe for Mystery Punch with Frozen Hand is perfect for Halloween. The mysterious ingredient in the punch may be the ground ginger in the apple juice or it may be the frozen hand. Kids love this so keep this beverage recipe on hand for any party. Make sure to plan ahead so the hand will freeze solid (usually 12 to 24 hours).
Even though the glove will be pulled off the icy hand before dunking it into the punch, make sure none of the guests has an allergy to the material the glove was made from (latex, rubber, plastic, etc.). Some invisible allergens may still be clinging to the ice and potentially could cause a reaction.
Makes about 1 gallon Mystery Punch.
- For the Punch:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 quarts non-alcoholic apple cider or apple juice
- 3 cups water
- 1 (12-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 frozen hand (see below)
- For the Frozen Hand:
- 5 drops food coloring (red, green or blue)
- 1.5 cups water (more or less)
- In a large pitcher or glass gallon jar, stir 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon ground ginger until well blended.
- Add 2 quarts non-alcoholic apple cider or apple juice, 3 cups water, and a 12-ounce can of orange juice concentrate and stir until blended.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- To serve cold, place the punch in a large, chilled punch bowl. Add frozen hand or ice ring. Ladle into punch cups.
To make the frozen hand:
- Add food color of choice to water until you reach the desired color.
- Fill a rubber glove (not the type with a powdery coating) with water, fastening end with a twist tie or rubber band. Hang glove from a shelf in the freezer and freeze overnight.
- When frozen, pull the glove off the ice hand and place it in the punch.