Warm, cheesy, sausage bread is a delicious start to any holiday dinner! It makes a great addition to a brunch or just as a holiday appetizer. It is a cinch to whip together and can be made a day ahead of time! It only needs a few ingredients; eggs, dough, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese! It is even simpler if you use store-bought dough! This recipe includes a pizza dough recipe as well.
This recipe can also be changed up by adding different cheeses, seasonings, or bacon with the sausage!
I am a traditionalist and wouldn't want it any other way than this recipe! Steve's grandmother makes this sausage bread every year for Christmas. We so look forward to eating it every year! It goes so quickly, you have to make sure you are there on time! I have done my best to make it as good as hers. Of course, it will never be the same, but it is pretty close!
- 3 cups water (lukewarm)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 to 8 cups flour
- For the Filling:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Place the yeast in the lukewarm water and stir gently to combine. Let it sit for about five minutes so the yeast can soften.
- Add the salt and olive oil. Place the water mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer. Slowly beat in the flour until it is combined. It should be a slightly soft and slightly sticky dough. Leave it covered with a towel in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Split the dough into quarters. Take one quarter of the dough and gently knead it until smooth. Let the dough rest again for ten minutes.
- While the dough is resting, cook the sausage in a large pan, until completely cooked, breaking it into small bits as it cooks.
- Roll out a quarter of the dough into a large rectangle. Make sure to oil the dough and the surface you are rolling it on.
- Use half of the sausage mixture and place along the center of the dough rectangle. Use a slotted spoon so that the grease is left behind in the pan.
- Top the sausage with half of the mozzarella.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites until slightly frothy. Beat the yolks until smooth.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg whites fold the dough over the sausage mixture and crimp the edges closed.
- Flip the bread onto an oiled baking sheet. Make sure the crimp is on the bottom side of the loaf.
- Brush the top of the loaf with the egg yolks.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat with another quarter of the dough and the remaining sausage and cheese!
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Let it cool slightly before slicing. Enjoy it hot or cold!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|