A hearty bean soup is an essential dish to have in your arsenal for everyday meals, and this quick and easy version will delight even the pickiest eaters. Serve with cornbread or some crusty rolls for a delicious meal, or pair the soup with a sandwich for a delicious lunch.
Use leftover ham or corned beef, or make it with browned sliced or crumbled Italian sausage. Fresh spinach and diced tomatoes add color and flavor as well. Swiss chard makes a tasty replacement for the spinach, or use chopped fresh or frozen kale or mixed greens. For extra color and subtle sweetness, add 1/2 cup of diced carrots and 1/4 cup of diced celery to the olive oil and saute them along with the onion.
The soup is an excellent choice for a game day gathering, tailgating event, or potluck dinner. Double the recipe and transfer the cooked soup to a crock pot for serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 ounces ham
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes (broken up)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans navy beans or other white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (1 teaspoon if using dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend (or oregano)
- 6 ounces spinach
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional Garnish: 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Optional Garnish: 1 to 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Peel and chop the onion. Dice the ham.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- When the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and diced ham. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for about 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, drained beans, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, fresh or dried basil, and the Italian herbs or oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Chop the spinach roughly and add it to the soup mixture; cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Garnish servings with fresh chopped parsley or sliced green onions, if desired.
Bean Soup Recipes
A hearty bean soup makes a tasty meal any time of the year, and it's especially inviting on a cold fall or winter evening. This popular crock pot 16 bean soup starts with a bean soup mix. Spicy Cajun andouille sausage flavors this delicious black bean soup. Or take the chill off with this quick and easy bean soup with sausage.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|