Nevados also called nevaditos, which means "snow-capped mountains," are aptly named cookies from Spain. These traditional, snowy white cookies are covered in powdered sugar and are popular at Christmas in Spain.
Nevados are very rich and flaky, shortening-based cookies. They are very easy to make and are not overly sweet. Better yet, all the ingredients are probably in your kitchen cabinets. First, flour, shortening, white wine and salt are mixed together, then refrigerated for an hour. Then, the dough is rolled out to a thickness of about a half-inch. Then, the dough is cut into shapes with a cookie cutter and baked. After the cookies are cooled, they are dredged in powdered sugar until completely covered.
- Measure the flour, shortening, white wine, and salt into a large glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients together using an electric mixer on medium speed. If the dough becomes too dry and flaky to use the electric mixer, finish mixing by kneading with your hands. If the dough will not bind together, sprinkle a touch of wine over the dough and continue to knead it. Shape dough into a large ball in the bowl.
- Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove dough and place on waxed paper. Roll out using a rolling pin to a thickness of approximately 1/3 to 1/2-inch.
- Cut dough using any shape, small cookie cutters. (If cookie cutters aren't available, use a small glass.) Then, carefully place on a cookie sheet or baking stone.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven at 340°F (170°C) degrees for approximately 50 minutes. Check doneness of the cookies after 40 minutes. They should be crispy, flaky and light gold in color.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and carefully move them to a cooling rack using a spatula. Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Put powdered sugar in a small bowl. Then, carefully roll each nevado individually in the powdered sugar until completely covered on all sides. Transfer to a platter to serve.
If cookies are not consumed immediately, store them in a tightly sealed container in a cool place.
More Traditional Spanish Cookies and Pastries
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|