These hot dogs are the classic snack that are available from street carts all across New York City. But you don’t have to travel to the Big Apple to enjoy this delicious dish—they’re easy to make at home and require no fancy techniques or equipment.
All-beef hot dogs are topped with a homemade onion relish, sauerkraut, and brown mustard, then nestled into a soft hot dog bun. The hot dogs are boiled just like they are on the street cart, but you can also grill them or cook them on a skillet.
We included a recipe for a flavorful onion sauce, the secret ingredient to making a truly authentic New York hot dog. It’s a unique sweet and sour onion relish and it makes the iconic street-cart dog something special. Serve these dogs at your next cookout, game day feast, or weeknight dinner.
- For the Onion Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Hot Dogs:
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- Garnish: Spicy brown mustard
- Optional: sauerkraut
Gather the ingredients.
Add the oil and onions to a small saucepan over medium heat. Sauté until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the honey, chili powder, and cinnamon to the onions. Sauté for another minute or until fragrant.
Add the water, ketchup, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and thickened.
Allow the onions to cool in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Add 8 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to a boil and then add the hot dogs. Cook until the hot dogs are cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add mustard to each bun. Then top with the hot dog, followed by the onion sauce and sauerkraut, if using. Serve immediately with your favorite chips or sides.
- You can easily make the onion sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to a week in an airtight container. Heat it up or use it straight from the fridge.
- The New York hot dog is traditionally an all-beef hot dog to keep the recipe Kosher, but you can replace them with the hot dog or sausage of your choice.