You've had chopped onions on a hot dog before, but this onion sauce is the traditional topping for a New York hot dog.
- 3 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) marinara sauce (bottled spaghetti sauce)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
1. Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
2. When onions are tender, add marinara sauce, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and use as a topping to grilled or boiled hot dogs. Mixture will keep for 3 to 4 days stored in an airtight container in refrigerator. Reheat before using.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|