The Niçoise salad is an elegant, composed salad featuring tuna, potatoes, hard boiled egg, olives, and green beans.
Anchovies are another key component, but I know not everyone feels the same way about them. As such, I've included the anchovies in the dressing where they won't be visible, but you'll still get their flavor.
You could, of course, serve whole anchovy fillets atop the salad, as is traditionally done, or leave them out altogether if you must.
To read more about this French bistro classic, see: How to Make a Nicoise Salad
- For the Salad:
- 1/2 pound white potatoes (scrubbed)
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 4 hard boiled eggs (peeled and quartered)
- 1 large (12-oz.) can tuna (drained)
- 2/3 cup brine-cured pitted black olives (e.g. Kalamata)
- 4 cups salad greens (either baby greens or larger greens torn into bite-sized pieces)
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (peeled)
- 3-4 anchovy fillets
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. You're going to boil the potatoes for about 4 minutes, then remove them with a slotted spoon, drain, rinse and dry them and then slice them in half. (Leave the water in the pot, though; you'll use it for blanching the green beans in a few moments.)
- Heat a skillet with a little bit of oil until it's quite hot, then place the sliced potatoes in the pan, cut side down.
- Let them cook for a minute or two until the potatoes are lightly browned, then remove them from the pan and transfer to a bowl. Toss with Kosher salt and set aside.
- Bring the water back to a boil, and add the green beans. Blanch for two minutes, then drain and either shock them a bowl of ice water or just rinse with very cold water to stop the cooking. Then drain and dry them with paper towels and set aside. (Don't leave them in the ice water bath or they'll become waterlogged.)
- Combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, anchovies and chopped chives in a blender. Process until smooth. Season to taste with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. (The anchovies are salty, so you might not need much additional salt.)
- Place the salad greens in a bowl. Drizzle two tablespoons of the dressing and toss to coat. Shake off any excess dressing. Now arrange the greens on four serving plates or one large platter. Distribute the potato halves equally, with the browned sides facing up.
- Toss the green beans and tomatoes with enough dressing to lightly coat them, and arrange them on the serving plates or platter.
- Now divide the tuna and place it in the center of plates. Arrange the hard-boiled egg quarters, then garnish with the fresh parsley and serve.
Note: Instead of the vinaigrette, you could serve a Niçoise salad with a garlic aioli.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||26 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|