This is a basic Salade Nicoise, a popular main dish salad. Use good quality fresh tuna and don't overcook.
The flavors of the Dijon dressing, chopped olives, and lightly grilled tuna combined with the potatoes, eggs, and green beans make this a perfect dinner salad for summer.
- 16 ounces fresh tuna fillets (or tuna steaks)
- 6 ounces whole green beans (trimmed)
- 4 to 6 small new potatoes
- 4 hard-cooked eggs (sliced)
- A few handfuls spinach leaves (or enough to line four salad plates)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- Handful olives (chopped, ripe)
- 2 medium tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Grill tuna on the grill, stovetop grill pan, or broil for just 3 to 4 minutes on each side. The tuna should be rare to medium rare for best flavor.
- Cook the new potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and then slice.
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Arrange spinach leaves, hard cooked eggs, and potato slices on the salad plates. Layer the sliced grilled tuna, green beans, red onion, and chopped olives to make a mound, repeating layers until ingredients are used. Garnish the plate with tomato wedges.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender or screw-top jar and use processor or shake until well blended.
- Serve the salad drizzled with the dressing or serve it on the side.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|