If you crave homemade ice cream but don't have an ice cream maker, this no-churn method is the way to go! You won't need another space-taking appliance on the shelf, and it is ridiculously easy. All you really need is four ingredients, plus any swirl-ins you might like.
Plus, there is no cooking required, so it takes just a few minutes to throw together. Keep it plain vanilla or add chunks of chocolate, cookie crumbs, or chopped toasted nuts. Flavor possibilities are endless; see the recipe variations (below) for more ideas.
Place a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan in the freezer and gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk with the vanilla extract and salt. Whisk or stir the mixture until thoroughly blended.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
Add about 1 cup of the whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk mixture and stir gently until well blended.
Pour the condensed milk mixture into the remaining whipped cream and fold with a spatula or spoon until no streaks remain.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the chilled loaf pan and spread it evenly. Return the pan to the freezer.
If desired, add any additional ingredients to the ice cream after 2 hours. Swirl to distribute the add-ins and return the pan to the freezer. Freeze for about 3 hours longer, or until very firm.
Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it stand for about 10 minutes to soften slightly.
Scoop the ice cream into dessert dishes and garnish with your favorite sauces and ice cream toppings. Enjoy!
- How to Make Perfect Chocolate Chips for Ice Cream: Place a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper on a baking sheet. Melt 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water. Pour the melted chocolate onto the parchment paper and spread it thinly. Chill the chocolate and then use a knife to chop it into small chocolate pieces. Stir the chocolate pieces into the ice cream.
- No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream: Whisk 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder into the sweetened condensed milk along with the vanilla and salt.
- No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream: Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules in 1 tablespoon of warm water. Add the coffee mixture to the sweetened condensed milk along with the vanilla and salt.
- No-Churn Irish Cream Ice Cream: Omit the vanilla and add 2 tablespoons of Irish cream liqueur and a dash of ground cinnamon to the sweetened condensed milk along with a pinch of salt.
- No-Churn Lemon Ice Cream: Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest to the sweetened condensed milk along with a pinch of salt.