Meatloaf is one of those ultimate no-fail comfort foods. Hearty and filling, simple to prepare and loaded with flavor. Meatloaf is a staple in many households and, with a few small changes, it still can be enjoyed by anyone following a gluten-free lifestyle.
This no-fuss gluten-free meatloaf recipe makes a big loaf, which means meatloaf leftovers. If you've never had a thick slab of leftover meatloaf between two pieces of gluten-free bread, you should try it.
To make meatloaf gluten-free, simply swap regular breadcrumbs for gluten-free breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs. Also, confirm the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce used in this recipe are ones that do not contain gluten.
Keep a batch or two of homemade gluten-free breadcrumbs in the freezer, and you'll be set to make gluten-free meatloaf anytime you want. Easy and convenient.
When purchasing sauces for this recipe, be sure to check labels as some brands include gluten. Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup is a delicious gluten-free ketchup option.
To lighten up this recipe, swap ground turkey in place of ground beef. To add a little heat to your meatloaf, add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces applesauce
- 1 cup gluten-free cracker crumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 cup ketchup (gluten-free, divided)
- Heat oven to 400 F (204 C)
- To a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, eggs, applesauce, breadcrumbs, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup.
- Use your hands to thoroughly blend the mixture. You can use disposable gloves if you like.
- Add a small amount of milk or water, if necessary, to moisten the mixture.
- Use a large spatula to scoop the meat mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Press down and smooth the top.
- Bake in heated oven for 30 minutes. Carefully remove pan and pour off excess fat.
- Spread remaining 1/2 cup ketchup over the top of the loaf, return to oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten.
- Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice.
- When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|