|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||41%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 5mg||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Meatloaf is one of those ultimate no-fail comfort foods: hearty and filling, simple to prepare, and loaded with flavor. Meatloaf is a staple in many households and, with a few small changes, it still can be enjoyed by anyone following a gluten-free lifestyle. In place of regular breadcrumbs, gluten-free cracker crumbs are used, offering, along with eggs, the necessary binding ingredients to keep the meatloaf together.
This no-fuss gluten-free meatloaf recipe makes a big loaf, which usually means meatloaf leftovers. If you've never enjoyed it before, try a thick slab of leftover meatloaf between two pieces of gluten-free bread spread with a mixture of mayonnaise and ketchup.
Click Play to See This Easy, Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe Come Together
2 pounds ground beef
2 large eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup gluten-free cracker crumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
1 cup ketchup (gluten free, divided)
Milk or water (if needed to moisten mixture)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 400 F/204 C.
To a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, eggs, applesauce, cracker crumbs, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup ketchup.
Use your hands to thoroughly blend the mixture. You can use disposable gloves if you like.
Add a small amount of milk or water, if necessary, to moisten the mixture.
Use a large spatula to scoop the meat mixture into a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. Press down and smooth the top.
Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the pan and pour off any excess fat.
Spread the remaining 1/2 cup ketchup over the top of the loaf.
Return to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
- To avoid a dry meatloaf, use ground meat with a bit of fat, like 80/20. The applesauce in this recipe will also assure a moist meatloaf.
- Keep a batch or two of homemade gluten-free breadcrumbs in the freezer and you'll be set to make gluten-free meatloaf anytime you want.
- When purchasing Worcestershire and ketchup for this recipe, be sure to check the labels as some brands include gluten. Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup is a delicious gluten-free ketchup option.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten.
- Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
- To lighten up this recipe, swap ground turkey in place of ground beef.
- To add a little heat to your meatloaf, sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.