This tasty pulled pork is made with a spiced vinegar sauce in the North Carolina style. This version is made with a small amount of ketchup and a few spices, along with some chili powder and Tabasco sauce. Top sandwiches off with this delicious vinegar-based Carolina Slaw.
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- cider vinegar and Tabasco, to taste
- Brown roast in a small amount of fat; place in a large roasting or baking pan.
- Mix the next 9 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over roast and cover with foil.
- Bake the roast in a preheated 325 F oven, about 40 minutes per pound, or until done and very tender, basting occasionally with drippings.
- Transfer pork roast to a cutting board.
- Remove meat from the bone and chop or shred the pork into small pieces.
- Season pork to taste with additional vinegar and hot sauce.
- Serve the pulled pork hot with sandwich buns, coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|