This tasty NYC style falafel sandwich recipe is inspired by the 24 hour middle eastern restaurants that line the streets of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Fresh fried falafel balls, pickled vegetables, herbs, greek yogurt, and a quick and easy lemon garlic tahini dressing are stuffed into a warm pita and drizzled with hot sauce if desired.
- For the Falafel: (makes more than recipe requires)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin
- juice from half lemon
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bottle vegetable oil for frying
- For the Garlic Lemon Tahini Dressing: (makes more than recipe requires)
- 2 tbsp. tanini
- 1/2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. parsley (chopped)
- juice from 1/4 lemon (or more)
- 1/2 tbsp. water to adjust thickness
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 pita (warmed)
- 1 tbsp. red onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. carrot matchsticks
- 1 tbsp. cucumber (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. tomato (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. pickled beets (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. garlic pickles (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. chickpeas
- 1 pinch fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 pinch fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 splash red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. plain greek yogurt
- 4 falafel balls
- 2 tbsp. garlic lemon tahini dressing
- Optional: your favorite hot sauce
For the Falafel
Begin by adding the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse until chunky.
Add in the parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion, cumin, lemon juice, flour, salt and red pepper flakes and pulse until all the ingredients are minced and not pureed smooth.
Season with salt to taste. Place the mixture in the fridge.
Heat the oil to 375 F.
Once the oil is hot, remove the falafel mixture from the fridge and roll them into little balls about the size of a pingpong ball.
Add a few to the hot oil, being sure not to crowd them, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
For the Garlic Tahini Dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, garlic, olive oil, chopped parsley, and lemon juice.
Add water, little by little, until desired thickness occurs. Season with salt to taste. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before using.
For the Sandwich
Begin by warming pita. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add onion, carrots, cucumber, tomato, pickled beets, garlic pickles, chickpeas, parsley, dill and red wine vinegar and salt to taste.
Add the plain greek yogurt to the middle of the warmed pita and top with half the pickled veg mixture. Add falafel balls, garlic tahini lemon dressing, and the rest of the pickled vegetable mixture. Add hot sauce if desired.
Fold stuffed pita in half and use tinfoil to keep half the sandwich wrapped. Peel back tinfoil as you eat it, sort of like a burrito!