This okra and tomato combination is cooked in bacon drippings with onion, garlic, and corn. This recipe is a great way to enjoy fresh okra.
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh sliced okra
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped, about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen thawed corn kernels)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 1/4 cup water (chicken broth or vegetable broth, or as needed)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add sliced okra and let soak for about 30 minutes.
In a large heavy skillet or sauté pan, heat bacon drippings over medium heat.
Sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add okra and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the fresh or thawed corn and chopped tomatoes and reduce to medium-low; cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
If vegetables begin to stick, add a little water or broth. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes longer.