Use fresh or frozen whole baby okra in this recipe or use sliced larger okra pods. Okra and tomatoes are a classic combination. This simple dish can be served as a side dish. Or make it a main dish over rice with cheese or an additional protein. Add beans, cooked diced chicken, diced ham, cooked shrimp, or crumbled bacon to the dish.
Lemon juice, some chopped onion, and garlic, are the only extra seasoning ingredients you need for this flavorful dish.
Roasted Okra With Tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh baby okra, washed, dried, stem ends trimmed very close to top, or use frozen thawed whole baby okra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, diced, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- dash salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the okra for 3 to 5 minutes, then remove with slotted spoon to paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the saucepan. Add the chopped onion; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low; add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- To serve, spoon about a few tablespoons of sauce into a serving dish. Top with the okra and then cover with remaining sauce.
Serves 4 to 6.
Add about 1/4 cup of chopped celery along with the chopped onion; add an extra tablespoon of olive oil saute with the onion for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue with the recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|