|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||102%|
|Total Carbohydrate 55g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 38g|
|Vitamin C 31mg||157%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Vegan confections are a wonderful way of using plant-based ingredients to create decadent desserts. There is no need for milk, butter, or eggs to make a delicious and luscious dish. Our easy-to-make coconut pudding is a great example of what can be achieved with a few simple ingredients. Most ingredients could already be in your pantry. Ideal for catering to people with dairy or egg allergies, this vegan dessert is also suitable for gluten-free diets.
The rich and creamy pudding is a beautiful way to end a family dinner, and it's easy enough to whip up during a weeknight. Mix before you start cooking your dinner, place in the refrigerator, and serve one hour later sprinkled with toasted coconut on top. Great as a make-ahead dessert, the longer it sits the better the texture, so you could make it the day before, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and serve the day after.
Coconut milk is a great pantry staple and could be used for other dishes like curries, rice, or cakes. Having a can of two at all times can help you whip up some delicious recipes at the last minute. This easy pudding can be served with any fresh fruit of your liking and even some chocolate shavings or cacao nibs.
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the coconut milk, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, constantly whisking. As it heats, continue dissolving all of the lumps. Bring to a simmer and turn down the heat to medium-low.
Continue cooking on medium-low heat for approximately six to eight minutes, until the coconut pudding starts to thicken.
When it reaches your desired consistency, pour the coconut pudding into small ramekins or cups at approximately 1/2 cup per person. Chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Alternatively, chill the pudding in one big bowl and then blend right before serving to ensure a creamy outcome.
Once ready to serve, decorate with the mango slices and mint leaves, topping each cup with toasted coconut.
How Can I Toast the Coconut Flakes?
To toast the coconut flakes simply follow one of these easy methods:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 340 F and place the flakes on a baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes and stir. Allow another 3 to 5 minutes until the flakes turn brown and are crispy in texture.
- Stove: Place the flakes on a large non-stick pan over medium heat and stir until the flakes are crispy and golden brown.
This creamy pudding is the perfect canvas for experimenting and finding your favorite combination. Here are a few flavorful ideas:
- Add one teaspoon of organic coconut extract along with a pinch of salt for additional coconut taste.
- Decorate with fresh berries instead of mango slices and dust with a little powdered sugar.
- Skip the fruit and top with dark chocolate shaves or cacao nibs.
- Add chopped toasted nuts like cashews, pistachios, or walnuts. For tree-nut allergies, serve with roasted sunflower seeds or pepitas.
- Layer the pudding with vegan vanilla cake and make a quick trifle. Top with any fresh fruit and decorate with mint leaves.