This old-fashioned frozen fruit salad will remind you of your grandmother's salad. It is a very easy preparation, and it makes an excellent fruit salad for a holiday menu. The salad is delicious with a ham or turkey Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Use canned fruit cocktail or use a combination of your favorite canned fruits. Dice a combination of pineapple chunks, peaches, maraschino cherries, pears, and apricots.
This frozen fruit salad recipe was adapted from a 1950s newspaper clipping.
See the variations below the recipe for an ambrosia-style fruit and nut combination and some substitution ideas.
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream, chilled
- 2 small packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup maraschino red cherries, quartered
- 1/2 cup green maraschino cherries, quartered (or use all red)
- 1 can fruit cocktail (16 or 20-ounce size), drained
- 2 1/2 cups diced marshmallows, about 24 marshmallows
- In a small bowl with an electric mixer, beat the chilled heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise. Fold in the whipped cream, cherries, drained fruit cocktail, and marshmallows. Turn the mixture into a 1-quart freezer container or loaf pan.
- Garnish with additional maraschino cherries or pecan halves.
- Freeze the salad until firm. Turn out of the container and slice to serve.
- Add about 1/2 cup of toasted pecan or walnut halves to the fruit mixture.
- Ambrosia Frozen Fruit Salad: Use 1 cup of drained mandarin orange slices, 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, an 8-ounce can of pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup of maraschino cherries, and 1/4 cup of halved seedless grapes.
- From a reader: Freeze the salad in a large empty juice can. Run hot water over the sides of the can, remove one end with a can opener, and it will slide out easily. The can also leaves some nice slicing marks on the salad.
- Substitute Miracle Whip Salad Dressing for the mayonnaise.
- For a sweeter salad mixture, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Use 2 cups of thawed whipped topping or prepared Dream Whip instead of freshly whipped cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|