|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 39g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||72%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This old-fashioned frozen fruit salad will remind you of your grandmother's salad. It is a very easy preparation and makes an excellent fruit salad for a holiday menu. The salad is delicious with a ham or turkey Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Use canned fruit cocktail or use a combination of your favorite canned fruits. Dice a combination of pineapple chunks, peaches, maraschino cherries, pears, and apricots. See the variations below the recipe for an ambrosia-style fruit and nut combination and some substitution ideas.
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream (chilled)
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup maraschino red cherries (quartered)
- 1/2 cup green maraschino cherries (quartered)
- 1 (16- or 20-ounce) can fruit cocktail (drained)
- 2 1/2 cups marshmallows (diced, about 24 marshmallows)
Gather the ingredients.
In a small bowl with an electric mixer, beat the chilled heavy cream to stiff peaks.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise.
Fold in the whipped cream, cherries, drained fruit cocktail, and marshmallows.
Turn the mixture into a 1-quart freezer container or loaf pan.
Garnish with additional maraschino cherries or pecan halves.
Freeze the salad until firm. Turn out of the container and slice to serve.
- For some crunch, add about 1/2 cup of toasted pecan or walnut halves to the fruit mixture.
- To make Ambrosia Frozen Fruit Salad: Use 1 cup of drained mandarin orange slices, 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, an 8-ounce can of pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup of maraschino cherries, and 1/4 cup of halved seedless grapes.
- Freeze the salad in a large empty juice can. Run hot water over the sides of the can, remove one end with a can opener, and it will slide out easily. The can also leave some nice slicing marks on the salad.
- Substitute Miracle Whip Salad Dressing for the mayonnaise.
- For a sweeter salad mixture, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- To save on time, use 2 cups of thawed whipped topping or prepared Dream Whip instead of freshly whipped cream.