This is an old-fashioned gingerbread cake made with molasses and spices. Top this gingerbread with whipped cream and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 teaspoon vinegar and enough milk to make 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- Stir in melted butter, molasses, egg, and buttermilk or sour milk.
- Beat in hot water.
- Pour batter into a generously greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
Serve gingerbread with whipped cream or lemon sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|