|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is an old-fashioned gingerbread cake made with molasses and spices. Top this gingerbread with whipped cream and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 teaspoon vinegar and enough milk to make 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup hot water
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
Stir in melted butter, molasses, egg, and buttermilk or sour milk.
Beat in hot water.
Pour batter into a generously greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
Serve gingerbread with whipped cream or lemon sauce.