Iconic apple pie, with its buttery flaky golden brown crust and warm, spiced, tender tart and sweet filling, is an autumn dessert staple. Those on a gluten-free diet need not miss out with this delicious gluten-free adapted recipe.
The filling for our apple pie recipe is a gluten-free version of a wonderful, classic apple pie filling that appears in Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook.
- 2 gluten-free pie crusts for a 9-inch pie plate
- 7 cups (about 2 1/2 pounds) peeled Granny Smith apples (sliced 1/4" thick)
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (if using a tart variety of apple, use more sugar)
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free sweet rice flour (or tapioca flour)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp cubed unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Use one 9-inch pie plate.
- Prepare one recipe of Gluten Free Pie Crust. This recipe yields enough dough for a 2-crust 9-inch pie. If you make a pie that calls for one crust simply freeze the 2nd crust for a future pie.
- Line 9-inch pie plate with one of the prepared gluten-free pie crusts.
- Combine sugar, sweet rice flour OR tapioca starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and use a whisk to thoroughly blend ingredients.
- Add sliced apples and gently coat apples with sugar mixture.
- Pour apples into dough-lined pie plate and distribute them evenly.
- Dot the top of the apples with cubed butter.
- Place the second prepared crust over the top of the apples. Press edges to seal dough and use your favorite method to flute the edges (pressed with fork tines, etc.). Cut or poke several small vents in the top of the pie crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Check frequently. If edges brown too quickly, place a strip of foil around the edge to prevent burning.
- Allow pie to cool for several minutes before cutting.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|