|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our recipe for griddle cakes takes very few minutes to prepare, and you can have them as breakfast, an addition to brunch, or a family-friendly breakfast-for-dinner dish. These griddle cakes can be made using your grill, camp stove, or conventional stove.
Make bigger batches by doubling or tripling the amounts and freeze once they're cold, separating one cake from the next with parchment paper. Mix and match our suggested toppings and try the variations shown below. Replace whole milk for milk alternative and butter with non-dairy butter or margarine to make a vegan version.
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, sift flour and add baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix baking powder and milk.
Combine dry ingredients with milk and baking powder and stir well with a whisk until the batter is very smooth without clumps.
Add melted butter into the batter and mix well for a few seconds.
Before putting the griddle on top of the stove, spray it with cooking spray or dampen a paper towel with oil and rub into the griddle surface to grease it. Heat the griddle on medium-high.
With the help of a ladle-spoon, pour 1/8 of the batter onto hot griddle to form each griddle cake.
When each cake is brown on the bottom and starts to bubble on the top, flip to cook other side.
Remove from heat as soon as they are done.
Enjoy hot with your favorite toppings!
Toppings and Griddle Cake Ideas
There is no wrong way of eating these cakes, so try some of our suggestions for a filling and healthy meal:
- Everything Cake Tower: Make enough sunny-side-up eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns to serve 1 egg, 2 strips of bacon and 1 hashbrown per person. Place a cake on a plate and top with one cooked egg, place another cake on top, cover with two strips of bacon, place a third cake to finish your cake tower, and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve with hashbrowns and fruit.
- Fruity Cake: Chop fresh strawberries and combine with blackberries and raspberries. Serve 2 to 3 cakes per person with 1/4 cup of honey Mascarpone topped with 1/4 cup of berry mix.
- Choco Cake: Spread Nutella or homemade chocolate spread on each hot griddle cake. Serve with fresh strawberries and bananas.
- Crunchy Cake: Mix 1 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup. Serve 2 to 3 cakes per person placed in a short stack, topped with 1/2 cup of yogurt mixture and 1/2 cup of the granola of your choice.
- Savory Cake: For a dinner-oriented griddle cake, make sandwiches using cakes as the bread and fill with brie cheese and sauteed kale with olive oil. Serve 1 to 2 sandwiches per person accompanied by a salad of fresh cherry tomatoes, arugula, and balsamic dressing.
- Vegan Savory Cake: Top 2 to 3 cakes per person with a serving of miso baked tofu and serve with a side salad of avocado slices, cubed Granny Smith apples, iceberg lettuce, and vegan ranch dressing.
- Candy Cake: For a sweet afternoon treat, place M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, chopped chocolate bars, and marshmallows in separate bowls. Offer very hot cakes so the sweets can melt a little before cutting into the cakes.