This old-fashioned meatloaf is made with lean ground beef, ketchup, and fresh bread crumbs, along with dried herbs and seasonings. The loaf is topped with tomato slices and slices of American cheese.
Feel free to top this meatloaf with mozzarella slices, Havarti, or other sliced cheese.
Serve this tasty loaf with mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetables for a satisfying family meal.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fresh, soft)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 eggs (well-beaten)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano (crumbled)
- 1 medium tomato (sliced)
- 4 slices American cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, ketchup, eggs, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix gently until well blended.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf (about 8x5 inches) on a rimmed baking pan. Arrange the thinly sliced tomatoes on the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Place cheese slices, overlapping, over the tomatoes and bake for about 5 to 10 more minutes.
- You can freeze an unbaked meat loaf. To bake it from its frozen state, just plan on cooking it for about 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than the recipe time.
- Check with a food thermometer to make sure it has reached the recommended minimum safe cooking temperature of 160 F (71.1 C).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|