|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This old-fashioned meatloaf is made with lean ground beef, ketchup, and fresh bread crumbs, along with dried herbs and seasonings. The loaf is topped with tomato slices and slices of American cheese.
Feel free to top this meatloaf with mozzarella slices, Havarti, or other sliced cheese.
Serve this tasty loaf with mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetables for a satisfying family meal.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup fresh, soft breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 eggs (well-beaten)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- Serving Suggestions: mashed potatoes, vegetables
Gather the ingredients. Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, ketchup, eggs, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix very gently until well blended.
Shape the meat mixture into a loaf (about 8x5 inches) on a rimmed baking pan.
Arrange the thinly sliced tomatoes on the top of the loaf.
Bake the loaf for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Place cheese slices, overlapping, over the tomatoes and bake for about 5 to 10 more minutes.
- You can freeze an unbaked meatloaf. To bake it from its frozen state, just plan on cooking it for about 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than the recipe time.
- Check with a food thermometer to make sure it has reached the recommended minimum safe cooking temperature of 160 F (71.1 C).