Macaroni and cheese has been around for a long time, and this 1800's recipe proves it. The recipe is actually adapted from the cookbook, The Virginia Housewife (1824). It's an example of a very early recipe for macaroni and cheese, layered and baked in a hot oven.
With only four ingredients, this recipe is short and sweet.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (sliced)
- 1/2 cup butter
- Heat the oven to 375 F to 400 F (quick oven).
- Boil as much macaroni as will fill your dish, until quite tender.
- Drain and sprinkle a little salt over it. Put a layer of macaroni in your baking dish, put on it slices of cheese, and on that a few bits of butter, then macaroni, cheese, and butter, until the dish is full.
- Place thin slices of cheese on the top and then bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|