This old-fashioned peanut brittle recipe is as easy to make as it is delicious. A candy thermometer guarantees foolproof results.
To check the accuracy of your candy thermometer, bring a saucepan of water to a full boil. The thermometer should register 212 F (or the boiling point for your altitude if above 1,000 feet). If it's off by a degree or two, adjust the cooking temperature accordingly.
Peanut brittle is so good that it seems as if it would be time intensive and complicated, but it's a quick and easy candy to make.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Generously butter two (13x9x2-inch) baking pans.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Cook the sugar mixture over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and blend in butter. Begin to stir frequently when syrup reaches the thread stage, about 230 F.
- When the temperature is 280 F or soft-crack stage, add the peanuts. Stir constantly until hard-crack stage, or 300 F, is reached.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared baking pans.
- As the peanut brittle cools, stretch it out thinner by lifting and pulling at edges with forks. Loosen from the pans as soon as possible and turn the candy over.
- Break hardened candy up and store in an airtight container.
More Brittle Recipes
- Pistachio Nut Brittle Recipe: This version of brittle is made with pistachios instead of peanuts and makes a great edible gift.
- Pumpkin Seed Brittle Recipe: This time pumpkin seeds are used in place of peanuts in this brittle. You can use hulled, roasted pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, raw pumpkin seeds or the unhulled roasted seeds left over from your Halloween pumpkin carving project.
- Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe: This microwave peanut brittle recipe is made with light corn syrup, sugar, dry roasted peanuts, margarine, and vanilla. Use a 1000-watt microwave oven for best results.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|