This is an old-fashioned beef stew for the slow cooker. The stew is flavored with a variety of basic pantry herbs and seasonings, along with garlic, onion, and vegetables.
The liquid is low-sodium beef broth, but feel free to replace part of the broth or stock with a good quality red wine. See below for the variations for more ingredient substitutions and add-ins.
The seasoned beef will add more flavor to the stew if it is first seared, but if you are pressed for time you can skip that step.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds stew beef (lean chuck)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (cut into chunks)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups beef stock (unsalted or low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves (medium-sized)
- 6 carrots (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 6 medium potatoes (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Combine the 3/4 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and the garlic powder in a food storage bag; add stew beef and toss to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the seasoned and coated beef in the hot oil, turning to sear the beef on all sides. Transfer the browned beef to the crockery insert of a slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, stock, salt, lemon juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, the black pepper, bay leaves, carrots, and potatoes. See the variations below for other possible vegetable additions.
- Cook the beef stew on the LOW setting for about 7 to 9 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Alternatively, cook the stew on HIGH for about 3 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, combine the 3 tablespoons of flour and water; stir to make a smooth paste.
- Add the flour and water mixture to the crock pot. Turn the heat setting to high and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broth has thickened.
- Replace about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the beef stock with red wine, such as a cabernet, merlot, or burgundy (pinot noir).
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of diced rutabaga to the stew mixture along with the potatoes and carrots.
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sliced celery to the stew along with the other vegetables.
- Add a handful of peeled pearl onions or frozen pearl onions to the stew along with the other vegetables.
- Add about 6 to 8 ounces of sliced or small whole mushrooms (fresh or canned and drained) to the stew along with the vegetables.
- Add frozen peas, mixed vegetables, or cut green beans to the slow cooker about 30 minutes before the stew is done.
Other Slow Cooker Stew Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|