|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This moist old-fashioned apple cake made with fresh chopped apples, cinnamon, and chopped nuts. It's a treat you'll make every fall, whether you pick your own apples or buy them at the market.
Put the mixer away! This cake is best mixed the old-fashioned way--with a wooden spoon. Thanks to Carol for sharing this recipe.
Serve this cake slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream or dust it with sifted powdered sugar.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; blend well. Add the remaining ingredients all at once and mix with a wooden spoon until blended.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the cake tests done. A toothpick inserted into the center of the apple cake should come out clean.
- Use a neutral flavor vegetable oil, such as canola, corn oil, or safflower.
- Some kinds of apples are better for baking than others. For a cake, the apples don't have to be firm as in a pie or crisp. Choose fairly sweet apples, like Gala, Golden Delicious, Jonathan, Braeburn, Pippin or MacIntosh.
- To bring out the nutty flavor of the walnuts, toast them lightly in a dry skillet until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Make the cake with chopped fresh pears instead of apples.
- Omit the chopped walnuts or use chopped pecans instead.
- Replace half of the granulated sugar with firmly packed light or dark brown sugar.