Use this olive paste recipe as a condiment, a cracker spread, with pasta or in salad dressing for a burst of flavor. This paste is a great way to perk up soups or stews. You can spread it on crackers or French bread, add it to pasta or deviled eggs, or mix it with a vinaigrette to create a unique salad dressing or marinade for steamed vegetables. Its uses are unlimited and it lasts for 6 months in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup kalamata (or mixed green and black) olives
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons capers (rinsed)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano (chopped; or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Place the olives in a colander and rinse very well under cold running water. Remove the pits from the olives and discard.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the pitted olives, onion, capers, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon peel. Process to a spreading consistency.
- Season to taste with the pepper and store in a small jar in the refrigerator.
Recipe Source: by Natalie Dupree (Potter). Reprinted with permission.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|