|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 82g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This quick-and-easy one-layer frosted carrot cake is baked in an 8 or 9-inch square pan, a nice size for most small families.
Adding raisins or chopped dates to this already moist cake makes for an even moister end product. The recipe easily can be doubled, and baked in a 13 x 9-inch pan. The frosting recipe will be ample for topping a sheet pan cake of this size.
If you choose to make a layer cake, double the recipe for the batter and bake two (9-inch) round pans. Cut each 9-inch layer in half horizontally to make a four-layer cake. Fill and frost with a double recipe of cream cheese frosting.
- For the Cake:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (stirred before measuring)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup carrots (grated)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins (or chopped dates)
- For the Frosting:
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon water (warm)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)
Make the Cake
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 325 F/165 C. Grease and flour an 8- or 9-inch square pan and set aside.
Measure flour and add to a large mixing bowl along with the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
Blend for 1 minute on low speed of electric mixer.
Stir carrots, nuts, and optional raisins or dates into the batter.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center, comes out clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the Frosting
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with water and vanilla until well mixed.
Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Frost cooled cake with cream cheese frosting.
- This recipe will yield about 1 1/2 cups frosting, enough to frost the top and sides of a 9-inch square cake or the top of a 13x9-inch cake. Double this recipe to frost a layer cake.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator, for up to one week, due to the cream cheese in the frosting.