There's something about a bowl of beans that is so simple, so delicious, and so satisfying. Especially on a chilly fall or winter day, curling up with tea AND a bowl of beans? Cozy gluten-free goodness.
I intended this dish as merely a side dish, but ended up eating the whole thing as my main meal one chilly afternoon. A few simple ingredients simmered in one pan, and thirty minutes later, a delicious gluten-free main meal packed with protein.
Fresh baby spinach and cherry tomatoes are softened in a skillet of fragrant garlic and olive oil. Great Northern Beans are added along with vegetable broth than reduces into a savory sauce. Red pepper flakes are added for a dash of heat, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a touch of sharp creaminess.
Don't have Great Northern Beans handy? Use cannellini beans instead. You could also swap chopped kale for the baby spinach for an every heartier texture to this dish.
In more of a brunch mood? Add a poached egg over top a steaming bowl of these beans. Really.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the baby spinach and vegetable broth. Cook until just about wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed Great Northern Beans to the skillet along with quartered cherry tomatoes. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until tomatoes soften and liquid begins to reduce and thicken.
- Add the red pepper flakes and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve hot as a side dish or as a hearty main dish.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|