|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This basic one-week cabbage soup diet recipe is more of a jump-start than a long-term diet, though some people choose to stay on it for two or three weeks. It begins with a few days of fruit, vegetables, and cabbage soup, with little or no protein. Then, bananas and skim milk are added. Later in the week, beef or chicken and rice are added along with the soup, which is eaten throughout the diet.
By consuming low calorie and low-fat foods, the diet burns fat fairly quickly. While it's not recommended as a long-term diet, it may help get you started. How much weight you lose will depend on your metabolism. If you have any special health concerns or dietary restrictions or issues, you should speak to your health care professional before starting any diet, including this one.
The basic cabbage soup happens to be delicious, whether you follow the diet or not. Go ahead and make it with beans, ground meat, or chicken if you're not dieting. The soup may be cooked on the stovetop for about an hour, or you can combine everything in the slow cooker and cook all day on low.
Click Play to See This Easy Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe Come Together
- 1 (48-ounce) can tomato-based vegetable juice (or 6 cups water)
- 1 or 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1 bunch celery (sliced)
- 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
- 6 large scallions (sliced)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton)
- Optional: 1 or 2 cubes bouillon
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Curry powder (to taste)
- Optional: freshly ground black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, or paprika (for seasoning)
Gather the ingredients.
Add the tomato-based vegetable juice, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, bell peppers, scallions, onion soup mix, and bouillon, if using, to a soup pot or slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low in a soup pot on the stove for 1 hour or in a slow cooker for 5 hours.
Add the salt, curry powder, and any optional seasonings, and continue cooking for a few minutes on the stovetop or 1 to 2 hours more in a slow cooker.
Eat all the soup you want. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To embellish this basic recipe, try adding an extra ingredient or two (diet permitting):
- Add a pound of browned ground beef or ground turkey.
- Zucchini or summer squash.
- A can of drained great northern, navy, red, pinto, or black beans.
- Leftover diced ham or corned beef.
- Instead of bouillon, add 1 can of condensed (or double strength) beef broth or condensed French onion soup.
- 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach or kale.
- 1/2 cup of diced or thinly sliced carrots.
- Garnish with some diced cooked bacon.
The Diet Plan
The cabbage soup diet allows you to eat all of the cabbage soup you like in addition to adding certain foods on specific days throughout the week. No bread, alcohol, or carbonated beverages, including diet sodas.
- Day 1: Any fruit except bananas.
- Day 2: Any and all vegetables, baked potato with butter for dinner.
- Day 3: Combine days 1 and 2 without potato.
- Day 4: Up to six bananas, skim milk.
- Day 5: 10 to 20 ounces of beef or skinless chicken, can of tomatoes, 6 to 8 glasses of water.
- Day 6: All the beef or chicken and vegetables you want.
- Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables.