I grew up in a house that used onions for almost every single dinner meal, and if onions weren't in the main course, they were definitely in the salad. I've kept my love of onions throughout the years and use them in everything, from soups to bread. Onion garlic bread is a simple yeast bread I made one evening to serve with spaghetti. The bread can be served warm or it can be topped with your favorite hard cheese and toasted.
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-1/4 tsp. or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. soft butter
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 med. yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups bread flour, about
- In a large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, sugar, salt, butter, garlic powder, and onion. Stir. Add 3 cups flour and mix well. Add in enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into the loaf. Place loaf in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on a rack.
- Serve bread warm with homemade whipped butter or, for extra garlic flavor, with garlic chive butter. The bread can also be sliced, topped with a favorite hard cheese, such as grated mozzarella cheese, and toasted in a toaster oven until cheese melts and the bread is lightly brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|