|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 9x13 baking dish (serves 10)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
While this parve Onion Kugel is amazingly tasty, you have to be motivated to make it - unless you are one of those fortunate few who don't mind chopping onions. Once you get past the onions, the rest of the recipe is simple as pie.
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can mushrooms, drained (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Chop onions. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large frying pan. Saute onions until transparent. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix the rest of the oil with eggs and water. Add cooled sauteed onions.
4. In a small bowl, mix flour with baking powder. Stir into the onion-egg mixture.
5. Spice with onion soup mix and pepper. Add mushrooms, if desired.
6. Spoon mixture into the greased pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400°F (200°C) for 45-60 minutes, or until golden on top. Baking times depends on the size of the pan used (smaller pans with thicker kugels require more baking time).
Serving Suggestions: Serve warm as a side dish.