This orange cake is incredibly delicious. The moist, tender cake has amazing texture and the frosting gives it even more vibrant orange flavor. Orange juice and marmalade flavor the cake. It calls for orange zest, but it is delicious even without it.
Garnish the cake with some orange zest, chocolate curls, or chopped nuts. I topped the orange cake (pictured) with some chopped walnuts.
- 3 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose, 15 3/4 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (softened, 2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 3 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Optional: 2 tablespoons orange zest (grated)
- 1 1/3 cups orange juice
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 3 to 6 tablespoons orange juice (or as desired for consistency)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan and then dust with flour.
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to blend the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the 1 cup of softened butter until smooth. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the marmalade and orange zest; beat until well blended.
- Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the orange juice and ending with the flour mixture.* Beat well after each addition.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Orange Butter Frosting
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and 3 tablespoons of orange juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add more orange juice, 1 to 2 teaspoons at a time, until the desired spreading consistency is reached.
Frost the cooled cake.
*Beat in approximately one-third of the flour mixture, one-half orange juice, another one-third of the flour mixture, the remaining orange juice, and then the last one-third of the flour mixture.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|