|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These little meringue bites are lighter than air, but packed with orange flavor and kicked up with chocolate chips for extra decadence. It will take great restraint not to eat them like popcorn! Buy these at the store and pay a fortune. Make them at home for pennies. Good for gluten-free and low-fat diets. If you omit the chocolate chips, they are fat-free.
- 3 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Gather the ingredients.
Chill mixing bowl and beaters for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 250 F. Line with or parchment paper.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar a tablespoon at a time until all sugar is incorporated and melted into the meringue. The meringue should be shiny and form stiff peaks.
Fold in orange extract, grated orange zest, and miniature chips.
Drop by scant teaspoonfuls (or use a pastry bag) onto prepared , placing about 1 inch apart. (You want these bite-sized to pop the whole cookie into your mouth. Larger ones are fine but make a crumbly mess when you bite into them.)
Bake about 1 hour until stiff and dry. Turn off oven, but leave meringue in the oven until cool to further dry out, another 2 hours.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you cannot find superfine granulated sugar, measure 1 cup plus 1 tsp of granulated table sugar in a small and process about 2 minutes. Do not use confectioners' sugar. It contains cornstarch.
- Save your knuckles and use a microplane to grate the orange zest. You'll also save time and get a finer grate of zest that better incorporates into these feather-light.
- To store, keep the meringue cookies in an airtight container.