This orange meringue pie is a refreshing change from lemon meringue.
Use a prebaked pie shell for the pie. This food processor crust is a good choice, or use a frozen crust or refrigerated pastry sheets. Follow the directions on the package for prebaking the crust or use these directions.
Top the pie with a whipped cream topping if you prefer.
- 1 pie shell (baked, 9-inch, cooled)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (finely grated)
- Meringue Topping:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Bake the pie crust as directed on the recipe or package. Remove the crust to a rack to cool and reduce the oven heat to 325 F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 1 cup of sugar, flour, and salt. Stir in warm water and orange juice.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil gently, stirring, for 1 minute. Set the saucepan over simmering water and continue cooking for about 10 minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. While whisking constantly, add about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture; blend thoroughly. Cook over the simmering water for 5 to 7 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the pan of hot water. Add the butter, lemon juice, and orange zest. Let mixture cool slightly and then pour it into the cooled baked pie crust.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy; add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until the meringue holds soft peaks. While beating constantly, add the 6 tablespoons of sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff and glossy. If desired, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla or another flavoring.
- Spoon the meringue onto the pie filling, gently spreading to the crust edge to seal filling in.
- Bake in the preheated 325 F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until the peaks are nicely browned.
"Every Sunday we choose to have a destination dinner and my kids pick the place. This time my 4-year-old daughter picked Florida so I searched the internet for appropriate recipes. This one turned out to be a fantastic dessert and was reasonably easy to make. I would definitely make it again!" Jenny