|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 82g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||46%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The orchard catch cooler is an exciting way to enjoy Angry Orchard in a mixed drink. The popular hard cider is a surprisingly good mixer and this recipe pairs it with fresh strawberries and basil for a crisp drink you'll surely enjoy.
This recipe comes from Angry Orchard and features their original Crisp Apple Cider, though it can work with their other ciders as well. For the drink, you'll start with a muddle of strawberries and basil, add a little lime and vanilla vodka, then finish it off with the cider. It's a delightful and refreshing drink, a nice change from drinking the cider straight from the bottle.
This is a drink that you can easily serve while watching the Super Bowl or other game day parties. It's also perfect for summer when the berries and herb are at their best.
Gather the ingredients.
Squeeze the juice from the lime slices, then drop them into the glass.
Fill with ice and add the vodka and cider.
Garnish with a strawberry and lime slice.
Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure to rinse the basil and strawberries well under water before adding them to the glass. Pat the basil dry before cutting. This will remove any dust and debris so it doesn't end up in your drink.
- To "julienne" the basil means to cut the leaves into thin strips. This wakes up the herb's essence and makes it more fragrant in the muddle.
- Though vanilla works really well with the apple, strawberry, and basil flavors in this drink, pour another vodka if you prefer. Clear, unflavored vodka is a good option, though you can try it with other flavors as well.
- You could also pour rum or tequila, both of which will add a little more flavor. Vanilla rum's a great choice if you want to retain that flavor.
- Keep the vanilla flavor when choosing an unflavored liquor or play up that flavor profile by making a vanilla simple syrup and using that instead of the plain syrup.
How Strong Is an Orchard Catch Cooler?
The vodka gives the hard cider a little boost, resulting in a mixed drink that's just a little stronger than the cider itself. Angry Orchard is 5 percent ABV and Stoli Vanil is 35 percent ABV, combining for a cocktail that's around 8 percent ABV (16 proof). It falls right between beer and wine.