|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 16 Portions (16 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is called 'Real Original' because it is based on the recipe taken directly off the back of a 1950s Chex Mix cereal box. A more complicated updated Chex Mix recipe contains pretzels and bagel chips.
It is thought that margarine is in the original, not butter. Some say the mix tastes better with margarine and some prefer butter, but it's your choice!
This classic snack mix will be welcomed at any party. Serve it with other snack mixes for a great spread. The combination of peanuts, pretzels, and crisp cereal squares in a seasoned butter (or margarine) sauce is really delicious.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups Wheat Chex square cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex square cereal
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups small pretzel rods
Gather the ingredients
Preheat the oven to 275 F.
Melt the butter in a shallow pan over low heat. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic salt (don't use garlic powder).
Combine the Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, nuts (peanuts, pecans or cashews), and pretzel rods in a large bowl and drizzle with the butter mixture. Mix with a large spoon until all of the pieces are evenly coated with the seasoned butter mixture.
Place the mixture in a shallow baking pan with sides. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so the mix is evenly toasted.
Cool and enjoy!
- Store it in an airtight container up to three days, if it lasts that long!
- Of course, you can change this recipe to suit your tastes. Add other types of nuts or snack foods.
- Potato sticks would be a great addition, as would pecans halves or cashews.
- You could even add some small cheese crackers to the mix.